MICCAI 2020 goes Virtual
Saturday 16th May 2020
Dear colleagues, members of the MICCAI community:
We would like to inform you that in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the MICCAI 2020 Conference Organizing team and the MICCAI Society Board have decided to hold the MICCAI 2020 annual meeting planned for October 4-8, 2020 in Lima, Peru as a fully virtual conference.
The safety and well-being of our participants is our top priority. Given the current circumstances, ongoing developments, and future uncertainty, we have determined after extensive consultations that an in-person meeting is not viable at this time.
The virtual conference will have the following broad characteristics:
- The conference will be held over five days on the same dates – October 4-8, 2020.
- The conference will have the same format – the first and last day are for satellite events, the other three days for the main conference.
- The main conference and satellite event paper proceedings will be published as planned.
- All accepted papers will have pre-recorded presentations and will be clustered into small groups of papers with a common topic with a moderated live question/answer session.
- The plenary keynote and panel sessions, the opening and closing ceremonies, and the general meeting and award ceremony will be held live with question/answer options and will be recorded for on-demand viewing. They will be scheduled in a time slot that will maximize world-wide attendance.
- Industrial sponsors will be present with virtual exhibit booths and industrial sessions.
- The conference registration fees will be reduced by about half across the board.
- The number of student scholarships will be substantially increased.
The paper review and workshop submission processes are underway as planned. We have received over 1,800 submissions for the main conference, which are currently under review. A total of 59 satellite events have been approved – 25 workshops, 25 challenges and 9 tutorials. Paper submissions for the workshops will open late June.
We thank you for your understanding and support in this difficult time. The MICCAI 2020 team is committed to make MICCAI 2020 a unique, vibrant virtual conference offering exciting opportunities which will welcome participants from all over the globe.
We will keep you posted with updates.
Daniel Racoceanu, Leo Joskowicz, MICCAI 2020 General Chairs
The MICCAI 2020 Organizing Team