Reinforcing Inclusiveness & diverSity and Empowering MICCAI in Low-to-Middle Income Countries
RISE 2023 lunch event
Once again, we are happy to host our RISE-MICCAI lunch event held in conjunction with MICCAI 2023.
For this year’s lunch event, we are delighted to have two keynote speakers, Dr. Ghada Zamzmi and Prof. Purang Abolmaesumi, who will share their experience with Affordable AI in Medical Imaging as well as their RISE stories.
RISE 2023 Journal Club
We are very pleased to announce the RISE Journal Club which creates a friendly environment to discuss the latest high-quality and state-of-the-art papers in the areas of fundamental AI, machine/deep learning, medical image analysis, and computer vision.
Follow us on GitHub at https://github.com/RISE-MICCAI
And join our mailing list to receive updates about our RISE activities at https://bit.ly/2VMPHXc
PAST RISE 2022 EVENTS
Lunch and networking events
Building intelligence into existing systems: the Zambian cervical cancer prevention experience
Prof Groesbeck Parham has devoted his professional life to improving the lives of the world's poor through efforts to reduce inequalities in health care by increasing opportunities for training, access to service, and through implementation research. He earned his B.S. from Oberlin College and M.D. from the University of Alabama at Birmingham. He is a professor of gynecologic oncology at the University of North Carolina. Chapel Hill. Dr. Parham founded the Cervical Cancer Prevention Program in Zambia, where he has lived since 2005. As a leader in combating women's cancers in resource-constrained global environments, he developed an innovative system for cervical cancer screening in which trained nurses use simple household vinegar and a digital camera. Adopted by the Zambian Ministry of Health in 2015, the screening program has been scaled across the nation, accessed by over 1 million Zambian women, and recently leveraged to create a form of low-cost automated cervical cancer screening based on machine learning. He also serves as the ‘Clinical Expert for the Cervical Cancer Elimination Initiative' in the Office of the Director General of the World Health Organization.
We encourage and value diversity and inclusiveness in the MICCAI community. The RISE network welcomes new members, regardless of age, gender, identity, race, and ethnicity. This event is NOT restricted to researchers in low-middle-income countries.
Stop by for networking, cocktail and snacks.
RISE-MICCAI + AFRICAI
AI in Medical Imaging (November 25 - 27, 2022)
The RISE-MICCAI, jointly with the AFRICAI network, is organizing the first VIRTUAL and FREE Winter School in "AI in Medical Imaging" featuring expert guest lecturers from prestigious international universities. Both RISE-MICCAI and AFRICAI Networks aim to empower minorities in low-middle income countries (LMIC) within the field of biomedical and medical data analysis in healthcare. This event has been endorsed by the MICCAI Society.
This winter school aims to give a thorough introduction about AI in medical imaging to those passionate about the field and would like to gain a solid foundation in basic topics such as supervised learning and medical image segmentation and registration. The topics presented by world leaders in the area cover both theoretical foundations and practical Jupyter notebook tutorials.
Application deadline: October 23, 2022
Winter School dates: November 25 - 27 2022, 16:00 - 19:15 (Central Europe Time)
- Researchers of under-represented origins (Africa, Latin America, South/South-East Asian, and Middle-East) who work in the field of Medical Image Computing and Computer-Aided Interventions (MICCAI) are barely represented in the community (~around 2% participation to MICCAI 2020).
- Strengthen the presence of minority researchers from Low-to-Middle Income Countries (LMIC) in MICCAI.
- Build collaborative bridges across countries and co-develop international cutting-edge research projects in medicine with a wider global outreach and impact.
- Propel inclusiveness and geographic diversity within MICCAI,
- Strengthen the presence of minority researchers in Low-to-Middle Income Countries (LMICs) at MICCAI,
- Empower MICCAI researchers in LMICs,
- Pave the way for future research stars to rise in LMICs and under-represented communities, and
- Build a strong research network within LMICs as well as across continents and different parties to help reduce global disparities in health and imaging.
Become a RISE Member
Become a member of the RISE network to Reinforce Inclusiveness & diverSity and Empower minority researchers in Low-Middle Income Countries (LMIC) by filling out the following form:
By completing the RISE membership Google form, you will join the RISE network and receive notifications about our upcoming free training programs/tutorials and summer/winter schools in AI, machine learning, deep learning with application to affordable medical imaging and healthcare in general. You will also be notified about events related to:
- Networking: organizing events, hosting conferences, cross-continent collaborations, and more.
- Research and collaborations: co-authorship in scientific publications, joint research grants, research lab visits, and more.
- Clinical datasets: collection, curation, cross-continent biobanks, and more.
- Mentorship: summer/winter schools, organizing joint workshops, training programs in AI and medicine, etc.
- Start-up and entrepreneurship
RISE 2022 Board Members
President: Islem Rekik, Istanbul Technical University
Deputy: Shadi Albarquoni, University of Bonn & Helmholtz AI
Secretary: Ahmed Shahin, University College London
Public Outreach: Andrea Lara, Universidad Galileo
Industry Liaison: Charles Delahunt, Global Health Labs
Journal Club Coordinator: Esther Puyol, King's College London
Tutorials Coordinator: Laura Franziska Graf, Lübeck University